Monday, July 23, 2012

Worth the Wait

When you have had your heart broken more than once it makes you a little hesitant to meet new people or believe in love. I was sure that the Boy that I Fell in Love with in High School was the one I would spend the rest of my life with, but I was wrong. When I realized we were not going to be a forever kind of romance, I wanted out and wanted out fast because it all hurt too much, to see the future and realize he was not a part of it. And then to find out a few weeks after I tried to end things that I was pregnant was almost more than I could handle. But, I believed that that child may have saved my life because I had the courage to do the right thing and break things off even when it was hard and uncertainty loomed large and scary.

So, I hesitated each time someone glanced my way or showed a bit of interest because what if this time when my heart was broken it was not only too much for me, but also for him, my son, my child who so longed for a Daddy and a family. I prayed that I would be content to be single as to not have my heart or my son's broken, that we could and were making it with ourselves and Jesus and that was enough.

Then the Man Child Out of the Blue entered my life and I was literally swept off my feet. Flowers and promises, unspoken dreams to become reality and surely God had placed him there like an unexpected surprise because I had declared my singleness unless He moved and moved big and everything seemed too good to be true. Because it was. Another broken engagement, another broken heart. I overheard my son at the young age of 5 tell his best friend that the Man Child had lied and broken my heart and that it was not okay to do that. I think his must have been broken, too.    

So, I built a wall of anger that turned the mortar to bitterness and for a season longed to love someone who was always meant for someone else. Each time it seemed as though God was indeed sending someone to mend my brokenness he was soon claimed by someone else. And it hurt so deeply.

Then I realized that in my brokenness I had forgotten the One that can heal all wounds and bind the brokenhearted. I confessed my bitterness and anger and felt like a weight had literally been taken off of my shoulders. And it looked like He would redeem a past relationship and reunite me and my son with The Boy from High School, so we trusted and leaned in to find Him once again saying, No and Wait, I have someone hand picked for you.

And in an unexpected way and in a way that only God can orchestrate, He lead me to my husband. I would have never guessed we would meet the way we did or end up in a relationship, but as we let God lead us, He began to weave an amazing picture of love and healing in two lives that desperately needed each other.

He fulfilled my dreams beyond my wildest imaginations and allowed me to marry my best friend, my soul mate, the one my heart longed for and it has been the most amazing 12 years I could have ever imagined.

The One Worth Waiting For is the one I was meant to be with and I am so blessed to be doing life with him.

Happy Anniversary, babe! I love you!    

No comments:

Post a Comment